Kaolin Group was founded in early 2012 with the purpose of beneficiating the kaolin from our deposit on the west coast of South Africa.
After a modest start as a small-scale mining company, we expanded and became a truly multi-facetted organisation. Conceiving and patenting our own flash calcination technology lead to the development of a multitude of value-added products, all of which utilise kaolin in its various forms.
Keeping everything in-house as a full-service company is a priority to us. We offer it all: raw mining commodities, a wide range of kaolin-based products, flash calcination plants, laboratory testing, research & development, marketing, logistics and shipping.
We are especially proud of the positive contribution our company has made towards reducing the carbon footprint our industry creates.
Proudly ISO 9001:2015 accredited
Our team is exceptional. From the most junior staff members to the senior operators and production crews, our workforce on the ground is well-rounded, dynamic and exceptionally motivated. The shareholders steer the concerted efforts by means of their immense multi-focal expertise and business experience.
Our shareholders are:
- Loanhead as a member of UAL Alliance and its globally operating shipping line, UAL Ltd. UAL Alliance has serviced the oil and gas industry in Europe, America and West Africa for over four decades, offering complete logistics management (both break bulk and containers), technical expertise and commercial awareness combined with European and American management and expert local knowledge;
- Jackie van Rensburg, an established entrepreneur and civil engineer with extensive background in mining, building, and property development; and
- Petra Wiese, a highly successful business woman with 25 years of experience both locally and overseas in the fields of construction, design, project management, entrepreneurial consultancy.
Central team members include:
- Savio Hagemann, with over 15 years of business and project management experience, who manages the day-to-day technical and operational tasks and drives both Kaolin Group’s business planning process and project focus.
Our senior operators, our laboratory technician and our chief mechanic – all of whom are well and truly used to stringent quality controls and ISO-certified production standards – combine well over 75 years of experience in their respective fields with resolute leadership and their staff’s skills development.
KG and KG-PC – BBBEE and CSI
Due to the strong development work completed by KG-PC in the past 4 years, we are currently classified as a “micro enterprise” with a turnover less than 10 million Rand. We are hence classified as a Level-4 contributor on the BBBEE Scale.
Going forward we strive to increase our contribution level, by focusing primarily on
- Skills development (ongoing in-house training and employment of youths)
- Employment Equity (striving to train especially female operators, & management staff)
- Preferential Procurement (focusing as much as possible on BBEEE entities offering local content for our products)
- Socio Economic & Sector Specific Contributions (Creche in Atlantis, sponsoring math & science programs especially)
KG & KG-PC have provided an entire, secure and custom-designed Building, on 1500 m2 grounds for a créche in Atlantis, which is one of the most under- privileged areas in the Western Cape:
- The créche is the only safe ECD for children in the area.
- We invest in education and training of children and young under-privileged youth.
By mid 2020 all of our employees will be part of a trading entity, which sells KG & KG-PC products.
Our current staff, including management consists of:
- 20% whites and
- 80% black and coloured members
- of which 20% are black/coloured female members
- of which 5% are disabled members